Thursday, July 22, 2010

Countdown to Asheville

Less than 2 days until vacation! Yay! We are leaving Saturday morning for a long weekend in Asheville. We plan to eat at the Laughing Seed and Zambra. We will visit Biltmore and Montreat College (LT graduated from Montreat). And of course I want to do some shopping. I plan to bring as little as possible so I can get a few things. Yay!

I have not started to pack, mainly because I have no idea what I want to wear. LT says to wear tennis shoes. I want to wear summer dresses. Not thinking that would be a cute combo.

In an attempt to use the eggplant before we leave I made a dish from Yum Yum Vegan - Eggplant and Basil Stuffed Tomatoes.



I tend to follow recipes very loosely so it's not exactly as the cookbook says.
What I did:
I cored 2 large tomatoes and drained upside down on a paper towel. I pealed and chopped 1 large eggplant. Seasoned with evoo and S&P. I sauteed in a pan with fresh basil from my garden, dried oregano, red pepper flakes and the insides of tomatoes. Meanwhile I toasted chopped Ezekial bread, seasoned with evoo, S&P in the oven at 400 degrees until crispy. Once the eggplant was cooked, I added the home made crutons. I stuffed the tomatoes and baked at 400 degrees for 20 mins. Meanwhile I made a balsamic reduction by simply cooking balsamic vinegar at medium heat until syrupy. To serve, simply drizzle the reduction over the stuffed tomatoes.

I thought the flavor was great. I did add a little Vegan Parmesan Cheese after I took my first bite.

Next time:
~ add more red pepper flakes
~ make more balsamic reduction
~ season tomato with evoo and Italian spices

Any other ideas? Suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. The Eggplant and Basil stuffed tomatoes sound really good! You mention suggestions and the first thing I thought of was a scallion seasoned couscous. I think it would be good because the inside would be really moist but the outside would take on a nice toasty nutty crust. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that recipe from Lauren. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete